Adopt-A-Child Photography (AACP) has suspended photo sessions while the Washington state governor’s Stay At Home order is in place. Social workers can still submit requests, although we will wait to pair volunteers with youth until after we are able to provide photo sessions once again.
Social workers with the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DHSH) and staff of private agencies who are engaged in contracted adoption recruitment services are eligible to refer a child to AACP and its photographers for a photo session.
AACP works with professional photographer who volunteer their time, because professional portraits are proven to significantly increase the likelihood a child will be adopted. You can find the contact information for AACP photographers with Washington Adoption Resource Exchange. Their individual contact information is located under “Register Youth for Recruitment” and then under “Adopt-A-Child Photography.”
What we need to know for a photo session:
- Is the youth registered with WARE? If you provide their WARE number AACP can confirm this information with our partners at NWAE. We will not search for a volunteer until this information is confirmed.
- Does the youth know about the photo session and want to have the session? It is extremely important the youth know and have a say in this process. This is mandatory for AACP and our partners at NWAE. We will not pair a volunteer with a photo session until the youth knows about the photo session.
- How many youth will be at the photo session? If there are multiple youth, please let us know how they are related and if they need portraits together as well as separate.
- Where is the youth(s) generally located (city and/or neighborhood)? This will help us find a volunteer. We cannot search for a volunteer without this information.
If you have any questions, you can contact AACP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why contact AACP photographers?
- Profiles see an average 129% increase in page views after being updated with professional-quality portraits by AACP.
- AACP portrait sessions highlight the personalities and interests of youths.
- Participating in an AACP photo shoot gives youth the opportunity to feel empowered in adoption recruitment and take a leading role in how they’re presented to families.
- Youth get to keep digital copies of their AACP photos that they can be proud of.
- AACP photographers are available to travel, and can work directly with placement providers or private agency staff to arrange sessions that work for all parties involved.
- New photos can be a great way to reinvigorate adoption recruitment efforts for a child who is ready and eager for permanency.
Here’s feedback received from families after seeing AACP photos on the website:
- “Upon seeing their photos and reading the child’s profile, I immediately felt a connection with them.”
- “I just felt in love with this child after looking at his pictures!”
- “When I saw her profile and pictures I felt like I was supposed to inquire about adopting her.”